Friday, April 12, 2013

I'm not ready!

It's that time of year again... spring is coming. So is Graduation, the end of an era. It's incredibly daunting! I can't believe 4 years have flown by. I don't feel ready for adult life! I loved going to school in New York City, the same city I grew up in, because I was able to go to school and work and intern at the same time, but I do wish I had a more "classic" college experience (sometimes).

"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them" Shakespeare's Twelfth Night

Graduation coming up has made me reflect on my choices here. I chose classes I didn't think I would do great at : Economics, Political Science, International Law, African Politics etc.. and I was surprised how well I did with these subjects, which I believed were so incredibly out of my mental capacity. These classes were challenging, and so fun. You really do learn so much about yourself in these four years.

I worked at a store in Soho with roles and duties I'd never imagine having the pleasure of doing. I met a man over a decade older and fell in love. I've been to Miami, his hometown, (a city I used to revile for its trashy SoBe image) more times than any other city. I've interned with the greatest, most warm interns ever at the Museum of Chinese in America. I've babysat the realest real kids who just make me laugh so hard.

I've learned that I'm too quick to judge, I'm defensive and sometimes I'm a little too self conscious. I've learned no matter what, you have to rely on yourself instead of other people. I've read most of the canonical authors, but I have so many more on my reading list. Please don't kick me out of college and into the cold depths of adulthood, I'm not ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment